Skip to main content

Public Rights of Way

Who looks after public rights of way in the East Riding?

East Riding of Yorkshire Council is responsible för the management of all recorded public rights of way within the administrative boundary.

Many public rights of way run across privately owned land and the responsibility for looking after rights of way rest with the council although the landowner or farmer has obligations as well.

A small group of routes are not recorded on the list of streets that are maintained by the council, by virtue of the way in which they were dedicated as highways. These routes are treated slightly differently in maintenance terms.

Can new structures be erected on a public right of way?

Existing structures such as stiles and gates can be replaced by landowners, but in doing so they must ensure that these are easy to use and meet the principles of the British standard for gaps, gates and stiles as far as is practical.

New structures erected on the public rights of way network must be authorised by the council as highway authority. Strict rules and conditions apply to this process, and often it is not possible for a new structure to be authorised. Unauthorised structures remain an obstruction and the council reserves the right to remove these.